Holy Cross Parish authorized the building of the school in 1912. The church was located on the main floor with the school on the second floor. First through eighth grades were taught by four nuns from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
In 1953, a new school was built with a total of thirteen classrooms, administrative offices, a nurse’s office, art studio, and a modern gymnasium with a seating capacity of 2,000 for stage presentations and 800 for sporting events. Located on the lower level were locker rooms, kitchen and cafeteria, and kindergarten and primary departments with an enclosed patio for outdoor play.
Kindergarten was a half-day program. Primary grades were first through third grades, fourth through sixth grades were intermediate, and junior high was seventh through ninth grades.